Friday, March 14, 2008

Obama's Pastor, Reverend Wright

According to an AP story, "Obama Denounces Pastor's 9/11 Comments":

"In a sermon on the Sunday after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Wright suggested the United States brought on the attacks.

"'We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye,' Wright said. 'We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost.'

"In a 2003 sermon, he said blacks should condemn the United States.

"'The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing "God Bless America." No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.'"

Too bad Obama has to say he disagrees with these statements, just because he wants to be president. Sounds to me like Rev. Jeremiah Wright is just talking about some hard truths.





[on a somewhat related note, I think it's time for me to take this quote by Tupac Shakur off my "favorite quotes" list on my facebook page--I still think he's so smart and it still makes so much sense to me but every time I see it up there it seems like more and more of a weird thing for a whitegirl to post as a favorite quote, and more and more easy to misinterpret why I'd like it: "Procreation is so much about ego. Everybody wants to have a junior. But I could care less about having a junior to tell 'I got fucked by America and you're about to get fucked, too.' Until we get a world where I feel like a first-class citizen, I can't have a child. 'Cause my child has to be a first-class citizen, and I'm not having no white babies." -Tupac Shakur from http://www.veronicachambers.com/tupac.html ]

No comments: