Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Eavesdroppings, etc.

I had a diaryland page a few years ago that was all things I overheard or observed in NYC. Since then, I've been putting these into text messages and I did one tiny zine with a few of them, but mostly they've been waiting for me to do something with them. Something like this. So here's (some of) the backlog, including a couple guest observations:

seen on the L out to Rockaway Blvd:
White guy, Adidas shirt over Polo t-shirt, fake Jordans, Catholic bracelet of saints, Yankees hat still with the sticker on it, and a walkman that plays cassette tapes! He pulls out an assortment of tapes from his backpack, including Dolly and a Rhino guitarist comp, passes over Dolly (based on the photo? he doesn’t seem to be familiar with any of them) in favor of the Rhino comp, and you can tell he is really feeling the guitars.

Text from Constance: I wish you could hear the conversation that’s going on at the table next to mine at the Hungarian Pastry Shop. Three middle-aged men developing a business plan for a brothel.

Overheard in Bushwick: “And when they built the BQE? Well, it went right through our house!”

Text to Megan: Across from me on the train either a really pretty boy or a really hot somebody.

Text to Lauren: Broadway Junction: Dark-skinned, solidly built guy with cornrows, maybe 35-40, wearing a big t-shirt with a painting of a teddy bear playing ice hockey. No indications of irony.

Woman on the train across from me, one word tattooed in the middle of her perfect slender 22-year-old upper arm, inch high script: SEXY. [I'm thinking about that arm at 73.]

Older Latina lady on the train, carefully made up, hair brushed back, dressed for work in jeans she hemmed herself, a black polo shirt, and a purple sweatshirt with a cartoon of a kid playing electric guitar.

from Rachel: So I’m in the midwest of course and in Madison someone tagged the bus station--they’ve written their little, I don’t know, gang or posse name, or even just their own name, but they wrote it on the bus schedule and did it in such a way that they didn’t obscure any of the info. It was obvious that they tried to do this and I thought it was so cute!

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

it's not that i never eavesdrop on interesting conversations in Bloomington. i've definitely recorded several...especially while i'm on my computer in public. and yet, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of my eavesdropping these days is on vapid cell phone conversations held far to close to me by irritating sorority sisters.