Tuesday, February 12, 2008

More movies.

Tonight the random movie was The Group. With Devon! I am proud of myself for meeting up with a friend for a movie and dinner on a school night. Still trying to balance everything. (I am also proud that I've been writing a fair amount here, and it's not a teacher blog! Important to write/think/communicate about teaching, but also so important to have other things. Like random movies and books and adventures.) Anyway. I was obsessed with the 1954 Mary McCarthy novel the movie is based on--Vassar girls, just out of college!--when I was a Bard girl, just out of college. I bought multiple copies, every time I saw one at a thrift store, and passed them on. I tend to do that.

The movie doesn't follow the book so closely, plus it's funny to watch a 1966 movie set in 1933 that is so 1960's--based on a book written in 1954 by a woman who was ahead of her time. Sex before marriage, breast feeding, psychiatry--the issues are timely to all times, handled in a way that isn't quite timely to any of them. Plus it's got Candice Bergen and Larry Hagman in it (not only was he J.R. and Jeannie's master, but he went to Bard! who knew?! oh, IMDb), along with a zillion other actors and actresses who went on to be in every television show ever made (remember before IMDb when we were all just like "who the hell is he? I know I've seen him in SOMETHING!" but now you can look him up and figure out that he was in that one ABC after school special).

Also last weekend Lauren and I saw "Network." Very 1976, fabulous. I love Film Forum. The Sidney Lumet series is proving to be more fun than expected.

1 comment:

Megan Savage said...

I finally just bought my own copy of this this year. I read it as a library book, but you know, it's clearly one I have to own.