Friday, February 8, 2008

Overheard re. Weddings and Indians

A table of attractive young blond people with Euro accents are next to me at a coffee shop that is only six blocks from the school I teach at, but is about thirty-five neighborhoods away. Or at least in another city, it would be thirty-five neighborhoods away--but this is NYC. Anyway, I'm in Williamsburg. At least there are coffee shops, and I can go somewhere during my lunch period that isn't the Associated Grocery or the Dunkin' Donuts, which were my options when I taught in Starrett. Anyway.

One of the men says, "I think I found my wedding ring."
A woman says, "Oh, you found what you want?"
"Yes, it's an Indian thing, not Navajo, another tribe...?"
"Sioux? Sioux? Sioux? Like you spell it with an x?"
"Maybe. And it has a blue stone. You know that blue stone?"
"Turquoise."

No comments: